首页 | 动作魔幻片 | 动画喜剧片 | 恐怖惊悚片 | 剧情伦理片 | 案件其它片 | 美剧英剧 | 教学节目 | 会员之家 | 论坛
奇异的恩典 [Amazing Grace] 2006 - cd1/2
目前免学分播放 学分: 6
你好, 英学网为您提供免费的在线电影和电视剧包含两种播放模式: "普通播放" 或 "高清播放". 部分视频需消耗学分, 注册即得学分!
如果无法播放, 99%的原因是由于你的Flash不是最新版, 请去 http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ 将你的Flash升级到最新版, 即可播放. 必须是10以上版本. [下载]

当点击后请稍等片刻, 出现播放窗口后需要加载影片缓存.
影片缓存加载时间一般为 10-30秒, 视您的线路速度而定.

初始的电影播放画面很小, 请点击播放窗口右下的缩放按钮调节画面: .

如果您无法观看电影或发现视频播放错误, 请在下面的评论处留言.
英学网欢迎随时观看并评论, 发布评论不会中断您的收看.

评论
9
顶一下

称  呼:
内  容:

[ 操作 ] [ 录入者:admin | 时间:2009-09-09 17:05:33 | 作者: | 来源: | 浏览:3530次 ]
】【打印繁体】【投稿】【收藏】 【推荐】【举报】 【关闭】 【返回顶部
播放提示
如播放太卡, 请点"网通"或"电信"按钮切换线路试试. 或按暂停, 等视频缓冲. 你可以先去 [ 会员之家 ] 看看, 可聊可玩:-) 等缓冲足够多后即可流畅观看. 初始画面很小, 需点击播放器右下的缩放按钮: . 请将浏览器的Flash升级到最新版. 必须10以上版本 [下载]. 英学网画面质量绝对是在线视频中的极品, 几分钟的等待是绝对值得的哦!
转发本片 -- 赚学分的最快途径】 (如暂停后有重音,请刷新页面接着看)
影片介绍
中英文对照双语字幕文本
翻译:冷慕容  silverma  wjdandan  校对:Amanda@@

18世纪末 1100多万非洲男劳力,妇女, 儿童 被奴役到西印度群岛及美洲殖民地

英国成为这世界上最强大的力量 将其帝国建立于黑奴的背脊之上

黑奴贸易被大多数人所接受

这种情况下  勇于反对的人更加稀少

布里斯托湾制作公司出品

奇异的恩典

英格兰 1797年

[Thunder rumbles]

- [Man grunting] - [Whinnying]

[Men shouting]

[Man] Go on! Go on, you lazy nag!|起来! 起来! 你这懒畜生!

Stop a moment!|停一下!

[Man] Go on!|起来!

Go on!|快起来!

Wilber. Wilber, you're not well enough.|Wilber 你身子还没好呢

For once, let it pass.|-就这一次 -不要管它

- [Man grunting] - [Whinnying]

If you leave your horse alone for an hour, he might recover.|如果你让这马休息一个小时 它会跑起来的

And who the hell are you?|你是什么东西?

[Man] Hey.|嘿

I've seen him speak in London. That's William Wilberforce.|我见过他在伦敦演讲 他是William Wilberforce

[Whinnies]

- Now what? - Leave it.|- 现在怎么办? - 别管它

- Welcome home, sir. - You're so late!|- 欢迎回家 先生 - 你们到得太晚了!

The mud stole half a day.|泥路拖延了我们半天行程

But Marianne, look. I have a surprise for you.|Marianne 看 我给你带来了个惊喜

- I hope a pleasant one. - Wilber. Wilber, is that you?|- 但愿没有吓着您 - Wilber Wilber 是你吗?

Oh, it is, half of me. My idiotic body is playing games with me again.|哦 是的 只是半个我 我这不争气的身体又在玩弄我了

- I promised we'd make him well. - Eat something.|- 我答应把他养好 - 来吃点东西

Breakfast, perhaps. Not too early. I'm on holiday.|是吃早点吧 不能吃得太早 我在度假呢

- Isn't that right, cousin Henry? - [Chuckles]|对不对 Henry表哥?

Don't you talk to each other? Haven't you told him he's killing himself?|你们俩聊过没有? 难道你没告诉他这样会毁掉身体么?

Now he's with us, he'll be fine.|现在他和我们在一起 会好起来的

[Thunder rumbles]

[Raucous laughter]

[Knocking]

[Knocking]

What time is it?|几点了?

This is your 3 a.m. Dose.|这是你凌晨叁点该吃的药

So, cousin, you're waking me up to give me medicine to help me sleep.|老兄 你把我叫醒让我吃药  竟是要帮我入睡

Ah. Now you're taking on the medical profession, as well as everyone else.|啊 现在你和其他人一样 把自己当医生了

Did you sleep?|你睡着了吗?

Sleep is more exhausting than being awake.|睡着比醒着更折腾人

The laudanum will sharpen your dreams.|鸦片酊会让你安然入睡的

It replays my life to mock me and shows me things I should have done but didn't.|我的生活在梦里重演 它嘲笑我 提醒我能做而没有做到的事

Wilber, Parliament doesn't deserve you.|Wilber 议会不是你该呆的地方

Your last bill was defeated because four of your loyal supporters|你上一次法案没通过 就是因为你那四个忠实的拥护者

took free tickets to a comic opera rather than stay to vote.|他们是带着赠券去看笑话 而不是去投票

In my dreams, I turned over their tables.|在梦里 我掀了他们的桌子

But you know the worst thing? I can't sing any more.|但你知道最糟糕的是什么? 我再也唱不了歌了

You remember how well I used to sing?|你还记得我以前唱得多好吗?

Marianne and I will find a way to restore your voice.|Marianne和我会记住你的嗓音的

[Indistinct chatter]

[Classical music plays]

The Romans believed this water would restore the dead to life.|罗马人相信这里的水能让人起死回生

Most pump water I've investigated works in the opposite direction.|我所研究过的大部分抽来的水 都有相反的功效

So?|到底?

- What was so urgent? - Did I say it was urgent?|- 什么事这么紧急? - 我说过很急吗?

Marianne, are you expecting someone else?|Marianne 你是在等其他人吗?

Inside this building, you will find the secret of health and happy life.|在这栋房子里 你会发现健康和幸福的秘密

In a glass of water?|从一杯水里?

You may have noticed,|你可能注意到了

since I married Marianne, I have been a picture of health.|自从娶了Marianne以后 我就成了健康的典范

- I'm very happy for you. - It is almost a scientific fact.|- 我为你高兴 - 这几乎是科学事实了

Marriage and health are twins. Inseparable.|婚姻和健康是对双胞胎 密不可分

Single men wither away and die in rooms that smell of feet and armpits.|单身汉在满是狐臭味的屋子里 枯萎 衰亡

Henry, what are you babbling on about?|Henry 你喋喋不休地是想说什么?

Love, Wilberforce. Come. Come, we're late.|爱情 Wilberforce 来 走吧 我们迟到了

The water has been here a million years. How can we be late?|这里的水已经有一百万年历史了 我们怎么可能会迟到?

- So, what shall we discuss next? - I don't know.|- 我们下面说点什么? - 我不知道

The abolition of the slave trade. How about that?|说说奴隶贸易的废除怎么样?

Marianne, if I'd known you were so starved of political conversation,|Marianne 早知道你这么想谈论政治话题

I'd have wrapped up a Tory and sent him to your home by mail|我会绑一个托利党人 邮寄到你家 (托利党:创建于1689年,1832年以后改名为保守党)

for you to shout at.|供你呼斥

Ah, now, look at that.|啊 来了 看那

Here we are discussing the abolition of the slave trade|就在我们谈论废除奴隶贸易的时候

and in walks my husband with William Wilberforce himself,|我丈夫和William Wilberforce本人就来了

the most committed abolitionist in England and also, of course,|他可是英格兰最坚定的废奴主义者

the most unmarried.|而且绝对单身

Oh. Look over there. It's Marianne.|哦 看那 是Marianne

And who's the charming-looking woman with her?|和她一起的那位漂亮女士是谁?

- Marianne's here? - Never mind about her.|- Marianne来了? - 别管她了

Look at the woman she's with. Barbara Spooner.|看看和她一起的这位女士 Barbara Spooner

Very committed to very many good causes.|投身于众多的公益活动

And also entirely unmarried.|而且绝对单身

Marianne, you're outrageous!|Marianne 你太无礼了!

I do not need you or anyone else to find a wife for me!|我不需要你 或者其他任何人为我牵线搭桥

[Thunder rumbles]

[Man] Carriage! Carriage over here.|马车! 马车过来

- I'll never forgive him. - I'll never forgive her.|- 我永远不会原谅他 - 我也永远不会原谅她

However, Mr Wilberforce, if we had met in other circumstances,|不过 Wilberforce先生 如果我们是在其它场合见面

I would have told you how deeply I admire your tireless efforts|我会告诉您 我是多么的欣赏您所做的不懈努力

to force our ridiculous Parliament to abolish the slave trade.|来说服荒谬的议会废除奴隶贸易

If you had, I would have changed the subject and talked about botany.|如果您这么说了 我会改变话题 和您谈论植物学

Botany? Why botany?|植物学? 为什么说植物学?

Anything but politics. I'm in Bath to be cured of politics.|除了政治以外的任何话题 我正忙于治疗我的政治创伤

Well, I would have been bored by botany.|植物学让我感到困倦

So, even in other circumstances, it would have been a disaster.|所以 就算是在其它的场合 我们的见面仍然是场灾难

- Good day to you. - Good day to you.|- 祝你愉快! - 你也是

- [Chains rattle] - [Fire crackles]

[Wilberforce] Some simple truths about this horrendous war|关于这场可怕战争的一些明显事实

need to be restated for the benefit of my honourable friends.|需要再次重申 为了尊贵朋友们的利益

Simple fact. We have the rebels on the anvil and a hammer in our hands.|明显的事实是 叛乱者已经羁押 等待我们处决

[Cheering]

There is no question that our military force|毫无疑问我们的军队

is far superior to that of the Americans.|远比美国人的强

But we must distinguish between force and justice.|但我们必须把武力和正义区别开来

Where did this terrier spring from?|这个活跃的小丑从哪冒出来的?

I believe he's a Yorkshire terrier, My Lord.|我听说他是约克郡来 阁下

[Wilberforce]... rather than able statesmen.|...而不是万能的政治家

Surely it is time for the fat fellow and his friends opposite|这位对面的胖绅士和他的朋友们

to make way for others who consider the good of their country|显然是时候让路给那些

of greater moment than their own personal interests.|关心国家利益高于关心自身兴趣的人们了

[Cheering, clamouring]

Doesn't he know what dangers await anyone who talks sense in this place?|难道他不知道在这个地方 言之凿凿会有什么样的危险吗?

Oh, I think he's equal to the dangers.|哦 我看他本身就是个危险

My honourable friend suggests we surrender to the revolutionaries.|我尊敬的朋友建议我屈服于革命派

Revolution is like a pox. It spreads from person to person.|革命就像是瘟疫 它在人群中传播

I bow to my honourable friend's superior knowledge and experience|我同意我尊贵朋友出众的学识

- in all matters regarding the pox. - [Laughter]|以及在瘟疫各方面的经验

Why would we withdraw from America|我们为什么要退出美国?

when half of the Americans are loyal to the Crown?|此刻一半的美国人效忠于国王?

Less than one in four Americans are loyal.|只有不到四分之一的美国人是忠诚的

If he calls that half, I'd hate to be his wife and share half his bed.|如果他管这个叫一半 我庆幸我不是跟他同床共枕的妻子

[Laughter]

[Man] Mr Foreign Secretary.|外交大臣

My honourable and young friend should explain to the House|我尊贵的年轻的朋友 应该跟下议院解释下

the difference between appeasement and surrender.|绥靖和屈服有什么不同

- [Man] Hear, hear! - [Muttering]|听着! 听着!

The difference between appeasement and surrender is merely a matter of time|绥靖和屈服之间的区别仅仅在于时间

and perhaps 10,000 more young lives|或许再加上一万个无辜牺牲的

- wasted for no reason. - [Clamouring]|年轻生命

[Man] Go on.|继续

Two guineas.|2几尼 (英国的旧金币,值一镑一先令)

Sweet Prospero, why hast thou forsaken me?|亲爱的Prospero  你为什么这么快放弃我? (Prospero :莎士比亚剧作《暴风雨》中的人物)

Brave in the House, but at the table a mouse.|下议院里胆大包天 赌桌上胆小如鼠

Your Grace, you know these merchant boys are richer than we are.|阁下 要知道这些商界小子可比我们富有多了

[Man] Aye. I have ten guineas left.|啊 我还剩10几尼

So ten it is.|那就押10几尼

In or out, Wilberforce?|加还是不加 Wilberforce?

- A pencil and paper. - No, no, no.|- 拿笔和纸来 - 不行 不行

Brooks's Club house rules. No IOUs.|Brooks酒吧的规定 不准打欠条

Amongst gentlemen, perhaps, but Wilberforce is a tradesman.|可能对这些绅士来说是这样 但Wilberforce是一个商人

You gamble with what you have with you.|你只能用你随身带的东西下注

Wilberforce, will you take my IOU?|Wilberforce 你接受我的欠条吗?

- We split the pot and call it evens. - To hell with that. Payment in kind.|- 我们分了这些钱 打成平局 - 馊主意 我用东西抵押

There's nothing you have I'd want, Your Grace.|你有的东西我都不需要 阁下

Tarleton, fetch my nigger.|Tarleton 去把那黑鬼叫来

My coach driver. Go and wake him up and bring him in now.|我的马车夫 去把他叫醒 带到这来

I bought a nigger in Port of Spain.|我在西班牙港买了这个黑鬼

He eats better than I do, so he's strong as an ox.|他吃得比我还好 所以他比牛还健壮

He'd fetch at least 25 guineas at the West India Dock.|在西印度码头 他至少值25几尼

The game is over.|不赌了

What's wrong, Wilberforce?|怎么了 Wilberforce?

If I hadn't brought the boy to London,|如果不是我把这个孩子带到伦敦

he'd have been worked to death in a sugar cane field.|他可能已经累死在甘蔗地里了

I saved his miserable life. There.|我拯救了他可怜的生命 来了

I raise the stakes.|我加注

Wilberforce? In the game or out?|Wilberforce? 赌还是不赌?

[Man] Evening.|晚上好

You act as if you'd never seen slavery before.|你表现得好象你从没见过奴隶似的

For me it's like arsenic. Each new tiny dose doubles the effect.|对我来说 这就像砒霜 每一小点都能加倍影响我

- You're not afraid of Clarence. - Because he's the son of the king?|- 你并不害怕Clarence - 就因为他是国王的儿子?

So, you want "bloody noses and cracked crowns"?|你是想要"流血的鼻子和破裂的皇冠"?

- Shakespeare, Henry IV. - A play about England changing.|- 莎士比亚 亨利四世 - 一部关于英国变迁的戏剧

- As it will soon change. - Only if we change it.|- 它很快会改变的 - 除非我们来改变它

You don't believe you and I could change things?|你不相信我们俩可以改变现状

I would change myself first.|我会先改变我自己

[Men singing]

Do you remember, Billy, at Cambridge|你还记得 在剑桥

I had a reputation as something of a singer?|我因唱歌而受到赞誉吗?

I do remember.|我的确记得

So I think I'm going to go and sing them a song.|那我要去给他们唱首歌

[Men continue singing]

- Silence! - [Singing continues]|安静!

Silence!|安---静!

[Singing stops]

You sound like a chorus of bloody tomcats.|你们听起来就像一群该死的野猫在叫唤

Now, let me introduce you to somebody who does it properly.|现在 让我来介绍个会唱歌的人

[Scattered applause]

I dedicate this song to my honourable friend,|我把这首歌献给我尊贵的朋友

- His Grace, the Duke of Clarence. - [Laughter]|Grace殿下 Clarence公爵

It was written by my old preacher.|这是一位老传教士写的

He was captain of a slave ship for 20 years.|他当了20年奴隶运输船的船长

He repented his sins and then he wrote this song.|他忏悔他的罪孽 写下了这首歌

* Amazing Grace|奇异恩典

- * How sweet the sound - Times are hard for the militant boys!|何等甘甜

- * That saved a wretch - [man shouting]|- 我罪得以赦免

* Like me

* I once was lost|前我迷途

* But now am found|今归正途

* Was blind|前我盲眼

* But now|如今

* I see *|得见

[英学网] - 电影天堂-双语电影网 在线双语字幕-英语学习视频 - www.engxue.com

Dear God, I know this is utterly absurd,|亲爱的上帝 我知道这十分荒唐

but I feel I have to meet you in secret.|但我觉得我必须秘密见您

[Man coughing]

Sorry to interrupt, sir. There is a beggar at the kitchen door.|先生 抱歉打扰你 厨房门口有一个乞丐

I would turn him away, sir, but you insisted I always check.|我想把他打发走 先生 但您说过要先问下您

Just give him breakfast.|给他早餐就是了

Very good, sir.|没问题 先生

- Richard? - Sir?|- Richard? - 先生?

I know that lying down on the wet grass is not a normal thing to do.|我知道一般我不会躺在湿草地上

None of my business, sir.|这不关我的事 先生

Truth is, uh...|事实是 呃...

...l've been even more strange than usual lately, haven't I?|...我最近比平常更古怪 是不是?

It's God.|是因为上帝

I have 10,000 engagements of state today,|今天我有数不清的公务安排

but I would prefer to spend the day getting a wet arse,|但我今天更愿意坐在湿草地上

studying dandelions and marvelling at bloody spiders' webs.|研究蒲公英 探究蜘蛛网

You've found God, sir?|你找到上帝了 先生?

I think he found me.|我想是他找到我了

Do you have any idea how inconvenient that is,|你知道这有多不适宜吗

how idiotic it will sound?|听起来会多傻吗?

I've a political career glittering ahead of me|我已经有了一片光明的政治前景

and in my heart I want spiders' webs.|但在我心底 我更愿意接触这些蜘蛛网

"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well-known to everybody else|"一个人离世前为众人所熟知

and still unknown to himself."|却不甚了解自己 这样的命运是可悲的"

Francis Bacon.|弗朗西斯·培根

I don'tjust dust your books, sir.|我不光打扫你的书本 先生

When I was 15, I almost ran away with the circus.|我15岁的时候 我差点跟马戏团走了

They said I could have been an acrobat.|他们说我可以做一名杂技演员

- Good morning, Mr Pitt. - Morning.|- 早上好 Pitt先生 - 早上好

[Man] Excuse me, sir.|打扰一下 先生

You read my letter.|你看了我的信吗?

The man who wrote that letter was not you.|写这封信的人不是你

It was written by some wild preacher man that has gotten into your head.|是一个疯狂的传教士闯进你脑袋写的

No.|不是

- So did he reply? - Who|- 他答复了吗? - 谁?

God. You were going to ask God whether you should take up politics or religion.|上帝 你不是要去问他你是该从政还是信教吗?

You're always too direct, Billy.|你总是这么直接 Billy

I urgently need to know where your heart lies, Wilber.|我迫切想知道你心里的想法 Wilber

- What's urgent? - I...|- 为什么这么迫切? - 我...

I'm planning to become prime minister.|我在计划当首相

- [Laughs] Some day. - No, I mean soon. Very soon.|- 有一天你会的 - 不 我是说很快 非常快

Thanks to your performances in the House, Fox and North will resign.|由于你在议会的表现 Fox和North的联合内阁只能下台

Lord Rockingham will become prime minister.|Lord Rockingham会成为首相

Lord Rockingham's health is not good. When he dies, I will make my move.|Lord Rockingham身体不好 他死了以后 我就可以上了

- You've worked it all out. - I want you beside me, Wilber.|- 你都计划好了 - 我要你支持我 Wilber

All the way.|自始至终

You've read my letter but not taken in a word.|你看了我的信却一个字也没看进去

I would have you in my government in whichever capacity you choose.|我会让你进入我的政府 你可以随意选择职位

[Sighs] Billy, no one of our age has ever taken power.|Billy 没有人在我们这个年纪掌过权

Which is why we're too young to realise that certain things are impossible.|正因为我们年轻 我们不知道何谓不可能

So we will do them anyway.|所以不论如何 我们都会去做

I need an answer, Wilber.|我需要你的答复 Wilber

Do you intend to use your beautiful voice to praise the Lord|你是想用你甜美的嗓音歌颂上帝?

or change the world?|还是改变世界?

[Woman] Here. Cut this, will you?|给你 把这个切了 好吗?

- [Woman 2] I've got too much to do. - [Woman 3] You take care of them.|- 我这里都忙不过来 - 你把这里料理好

Any more flour?|还有面粉吗?

- [Girl] I can't! - [Woman 1] Put your elbow into it.|- 我搅不动! - 肘用力

Marjorie, Mr Wilberforce is on his way down.|Marjorie Wilberforce先生下来了

[Clucking]

Marjorie, I'm expecting some people for dinner.|Marjorie 我在等人吃饭

[Whimpers]

Marjorie? Marjorie?|Marjorie? Marjorie?

- She's been run off her feet, sir. - How so?|- 她已经忙得不行了 先生 - 为什么?

Well, take today, for example. You have 25 guests for lunch.|比如说今天 午饭您有25位客人

Do I?|有这么多吗?

[Indistinct chatter]

If you remember, you decided to reward various volunteers|如果您记得 您说过奖励各个

who worked for some quite precariously financed charities.|为没有稳定捐助的慈善机构工作的志愿者

Some brought deserving children. Others brought less deserving relatives.|一些人带了该奖励的小孩 其他人带了不那么值得嘉奖的亲戚

- I really should get some sort of... - Diary, sir. Yes. Or more cooks.|- 我真该弄些... - 记事本 先生 是的 或者厨师

[Man] Go on! Go on!|驾! 驾!

Is that the appetiser?|这是开胃品吗?

No, that's His Grace, the Duke of Clarence.|不是 这是Grace殿下 Clarence公爵

Wilberforce, the Reverend John Ramsay.|Wilberforce 尊敬的John Ramsay

Reverend.|很荣幸

Edward Hope.|Edward Hope

And Michael Shaw. Both friends.|还有Michael Shaw 都是朋友

- This is Olaudah Equiano. - Mr Equiano. Please.|- 这位是Olaudah Equiano - Equiano先生 请

- You've travelled far to be here? - No distance would be too great.|- 你是走了很远才到这的吗? - 没点距离似乎是太过仁慈了

- And this is Hannah Moore. - Mr Wilberforce.|- 还有 这位是Hannah Moore - Wilberforce先生

Who has travelled all the way from Clapham.|她是从克拉彭(英国伦敦西南部一地区) 一路赶过来的

Finally, let me introduce Mr Thomas Clarkson.|最后 我来介绍Thomas Clarkson先生

Beautiful house. Sweet little rabbit.|漂亮的房子 可爱的小兔子

It's a hare, actually.|它实际是只野兔

Please.|请

So come on. Who are they?|好吧 他们是谁?

Why don't you ask them?|你干吗不问问他们?

Well, I hope the goose is tender. She was rather old.|但愿鹅肉还算嫩 这是一只老鹅了

I find the older I get, the more tender I become.|我发现越老 我就越温柔

- [Chuckling] - [Bird squawks]

So, Miss Moore, you live in Clapham.|Miss Moore小姐 你住在克拉彭?

I hear it's very tranquil there.|我听说那边非常宁静

When certain issues are raised amongst my friends and I,|当我的朋友们和我讨论问题时

it is anything but tranquil.|那里可一点都不宁静了

Ah. And, uh, which issues are those?|啊 那么 呃 讨论什么问题呢?

Issues regarding the making of a better world.|关于建立一个更好的世界的问题

Better in which way?|在哪方面更好呢?

If you make the world better in one way, it becomes better in every way.|如果你在一个方面改善了这个世界 那它的其它方面都会得到改善

Don't you think?|您不这么看吗?

Mr Equiano, what business brings you to London?|Equiano先生 您来伦敦有何贵干?

My business in London is you, Mr Wilberforce.|我来伦敦就是为了您 Wilberforce先生

What? You wish to discuss something with me?|什么? 您想我和讨论点什么吗?

No. We do not want to talk|不是 我们不想用嘴说

because we hear that you are a man who doesn't believe what he hears|因为我们听说您是一个信奉眼见为实

until he sees it with his own eyes.|耳听为虚的人

These are for the legs.|这些是用来拷脚的

These for the arms.|这些是拷手的

This is for the neck.|这个是锁脖子的

Works like so.|这样来锁

When the slaves leave port in Africa,|当奴隶离开非洲港

they're locked into a space four foot by 18 inches.|他们被关在一个4英尺长8英寸宽的地方

They have no sanitation, very little food, stagnant water.|他们没有卫生设施 只有很少的食物和少量的水

Their waste and blood fills the holes within three days and is never emptied.|叁天内 他们的粪便和血液就会填满那些洞 永远不会被清理

These irons and chains are to keep them from throwing themselves overboard.|这些铁链是为了防止他们逃跑

The chains are not unlocked until you reach the plantation in Jamaica.|直到抵达牙买加的农场 这些铁链才会被解开

Around half of the slaves are dead already.|到达的时候 约一半的奴隶就已经死了

In the markets, they stuff knotted rope|在交易市场里 为了不让人发现奴隶患了痢疾

into the anuses of those who are sick|他们就用打节的绳子

to disguise the dysentery.|塞住生病了的奴隶的肛门

When you reach the plantation, they put irons to the fire...|当你到了农场 他们就用火红的铬铁...

...and do this.|...这样做

To let you know that you no longer belong to God, but to a man.|让你明白 你不再属于上帝 而是属于奴隶主

Mr Wilberforce, we understand you're having problems|Wilberforce先生 我们清楚 你很难选择

choosing whether to do the work of God|是该从事与上帝有关的工作

or the work of a political activist.|还是该投身于政治

We humbly suggest that you can do both.|我们提议你两样都可以做

You planned this.|你们计划好的

I've seen the literature you've been reading.|我看到过你在读的书

You've stooped to searching through my desk?|你已经低级到去翻我的书桌了?

Sir William Dolben told me you'd asked to be shown round the East India Docks.|William Dolben先生告诉我 你曾想过去东南亚

So, you would use my private concerns for your own political ends.|所以 你就利用我的想法 来达到你的政治目的

Yes, exactly that.|对 就是那样

The principles of Christianity lead to action as well as meditation.|基督教的教义不仅要求沉思 也要求有所行动

Allow me to meditate on it before I decide on any action.|在我采取任何行动前 请让我先认真思考

Just think about this, Wilber.|考虑一下吧 Wilber

The slave trade has 300 MPs in its pocket.|有300个议员参与奴隶交易

It would be just you against them.|只有你才能与他们对抗

But you could do it.|你有能力这么做

You would do it.|你应该这么做

[Indistinct chatter]

Oh, stop moaning.|别再抱怨了

[Man] Excuse me, sir.|不好意思 先生

Do you have a penny for a boy that went to fight the Yanks|你能施舍给这个男孩一便士吗? 我曾与纽约扬基棒球队交战

and came back half a man?|回来时就半身残废了

Hello, Mr Newton. It's me, William.|你好 Newton先生 是我 William

Hello, John. How are you?|你好John 最近好吗?

Hello, John. It's me, Wilber.|你好 John 是我 Wilber

I'm here to seek your...|我来这里看看你...

[Wilberforce] The beggar at the door assures me that I'm now old enough|门口的乞丐跟我保证 说我现在已经到了可以

to call you John.|称呼你John的年纪了

[Laughs]

You're dressing very simply these days.|你现在都穿得很朴素了

I'm a simple man. I try to pretend I am a monk, but I don't have the willpower.|我是一个很简朴的人 我试着让自己做个僧侣 但我没毅力

I'm a monk Mondays, Wednesdays...|周一 周叁...的时候我是僧侣

When I read your name in the papers, doing these great things,|当我在报纸上看到你的名字 你做了这么多伟大的事情时

I still see a tiny boy with his hair a mess|我想到的仍然还是那个 头发乱糟糟的小男孩

and ink on his fingers.|和他手指上的墨水

So, what do you want with an old creature?|你想从我这个老人这里得到点什么?

I'm here to seek your advice.|我到这里来听取你的意见

When you were a child, you used to ask God for advice.|当你还是个孩子时 你是向上帝征求意见

Then I grew up. And grew foolish.|然后我长大了 而且变愚蠢了

And now?|那么现在呢?

Now... slowly, my faith is returning.|现在...慢慢地 我的信仰正在回来

How slowly?|有多慢?

- No bolts of lightning. - [Chuckles]|- 比闪电的速度慢

God sometimes does his work with gentle drizzle, not storms.|有时候 上帝像温柔的细雨般行事 而不是暴风雨

Drip... drip... drip.|滴...滴...滴

My friend William Pitt has declared an interest in me.|我的朋友William Pitt 声称对我有兴趣

William who?|William 是谁?

He's offering me a place in the world.|他让我在这个世界上占有一席之地

Just make sure you're in the world, not of the world.|确定你在是这个世界里 而不是属于这个世界

There'd be no escape from power once I have it.|一旦我有了权力 就再也没法逃脱

- I would have to see things through. - Why wouldn't you?|- 我本该看清所有事情 - 为什么你没有?

Are you contemplating a life of solitude?|你想要孤独一生吗?

Wilber, you have work to do.|Wilber你还有事要做

Besides, people like you too much|除此之外 人们太喜欢你

to let you live a life of solitude.|所以你注定不能孤独地生活

Haven't you chosen solitude?|你难道不是选择了孤独吗?

You, of all people, should know I can never be alone.|你 和所有的人 都应该明白 我永远不可能独自一人

There now.|现在就是啊

- There now what? - You're the reason I came.|- 现在就是什么? - 你就是我此行的原因

You told me that you live in the company of 20,000 ghosts.|你告诉过我 你和20000个鬼一起生活过

The ghosts of slaves.|那些奴隶们

I was explaining to a child|我是为了向一个小孩解释

why a grown man cowers in a dark corner.|为什么大人会在黑暗的角落缩成一团

I need you to tell me about them.|我需要你告诉我

I'm not strong enough to hear my own confession.|我还没有强健到可以听自己忏悔

- I thought time might have changed you. - It has. I'm older.|- 我以为时间会让你改变 - 没错 我更老了

Pitt has asked me to take them on, the slavers.|Pitt让我负责 奴隶的事

I'm the last person you should come to for advice.|你应该最后再来向我征求意见

I can't even say the name of any of my ships|如果不回到船上

without being back onboard them in my head.|我甚至说不出 任何一艘船的名字

All I know is 20,000 slaves live with me in this little church.|我所知道的 只是和20000个奴隶住在这个小教堂里

- There's still blood on my hands. - Will you help me, John?|- 现在我的手上都还有鲜血 - 你能帮帮我吗 John?

I can't help you.|我帮不了你

But do it, Wilber. Do it.|但是去做吧 Wilber 去做吧

Take them on. Blow their dirty, filthy ships out of the water.|去接手这件事 把他们肮脏污秽的船从海上吹走

The planters, sugar barons,|那些农场主 甘蔗男爵

Alderman "Sugar Cane", the Lord Mayor of London.|"甘蔗"市议员 伦敦市长

Liverpool, Boston, Bristol, New York.|利物浦 波士顿 布里斯托尔 纽约

All their streets running with blood, dysentery, puke!|这些城市的街上都流着鲜血 充斥着痢疾和呕吐物!

You won't come away from those streets clean, Wilber.|你不会干干净净离开这些街道的 Wilber

You'll get filthy with it, you'll dream it,|你会沾染上它的不洁 你会梦到它

see it in broad daylight.|光天化日下见到它

But do it. For God's sake.|但是去做 务必去做

Sir, I have Mr Thomas Clarkson.|先生 Thomas Clarkson先生来了

Forgive me. Mr Wilberforce was here a moment ago.|请原谅 Wilberforce先生刚刚还在这

I'd better go and find him.|我最好去找找看

[Whining]

- [Crashing] - [Barking]

- Good afternoon. - Sorry if I alarmed you.|- 下午好 -  抱歉 如果我吓到你的话

I had this box made up in the exact dimensions of a slave berth.|我把这个箱子的大小 做得正好放下一个奴隶

I thought you could use it in your practical demonstrations.|我觉得你在实际示范中 可能会用得到

Why did you wait until your butler had left before you got out of the box?|为什么要等管家走了你才出来?

They all think I'm mad already.|他们都觉得我已经疯了

As will most people in the House of Commons|就像国会下议院的大部分人那样

when I present my bill.|在我呈上我的法案的时候

[Man] Wilberforce, conditions in Jamaica|Wilberforce 牙买加的情况

are far more brutal than I could have imagined.|比我想象的还要严重

Many children are scalded to death by the molten lava.|很多孩子被熔化的铁浆烫死.

Others die of exhaustion or roll into the fires in their sleep.|还有的死于过度疲劳 或者睡着的时候滚进了火里

The result in the morning is a few pounds of pure, refined sugar.|结果就是清早的时候 炼出的几个英镑和精致的蔗糖

[Knocking]

- [Groaning] - Wilberforce, are you all right?|- Wilberforce, 你还好吗?

Sit up for me.|坐起来

Here, drink this.|来 喝了它

- What happened? - I read James's letter from Jamaica.|- 怎么了? - 我读了James从牙买加寄来的信

When I fell asleep, it was as if I were living inside it.|我睡着了以后 感觉就像我也生活在那里

Perhaps the laudanum the doctor gave you is badly mixed.|可能医生给你的鸦片酊 不是正货

I know the effects of opium, Henry.|我知道服用鸦片的效果 Henry

- This isn't the medication. - What, then?|- 这不是因为药物所致 - 那是因为什么?

I was chosen for this task and I failed.|我被选中接手这个任务 然后我失败了

Some part of me does not accept the idea that I've given up.|我有点无法接受我的失败

- I'll dilute this. - Can you dilute what I feel?|- 我把这个冲淡一点 - 你把我所想的东西冲淡吗?

You've given your youth and your health for this cause.|你已经为了这件事情 放弃了你的青春和健康

It's time to let someone else try.|是时候该换别人去尝试了

[英学网] - 电影天堂-双语电影网 在线双语字幕-英语学习视频 - www.engxue.com

So, Mr Wilberforce...|Wilberforce先生...

...I understand you have an interest in botany.|...我知道你对植物学感兴趣

Botany, Miss Spooner? Whatever gives you the idea that I might be interested|植物学?Spooner小姐 是什么让你觉得

in something as tedious as botany?|我会对植物学这么乏味的东西感兴趣?

[Snorts and coughs]

Sorry. It's a private joke.|抱歉 我开玩笑的

Now, Wilber, I know you're not interested in botany,|Wilber 我知道你对植物学不感兴趣

but there's a fascinating creeping ivy up the far end of the garden.|但是在那边花园的尽头 有一条很漂亮的常春藤

Barbara, you really must go and see it too.|Barbara你也应该一起去看看

Go on.|走吧

To irritate them, let's pretend to argue.|我们假装争执去刺激一下他们

- What about? - Something we disagree on.|- 争执什么? - 那些我们有不同意见的东西

Think of something.|我想想

The war in France.|法国战争

I think we should settle with Napoleon right now.|我觉得 我们现在应该同拿破仑谈谈

So do I. Schools.|我也这样认为 学校

I'm a member of your movement for free education.|我是你的自由教育运动会的成员

I agreed with every word you said on the Dales factory debate.|我同意你在关于戴尔工厂的辩论上 说的每一个字

You read every word?|你读了每一个字?

- No. - Neither did I.|- 没有 - 我也没有

[Barbara giggles]

- Gin. - Replace it in the cities with beer.|- 杜松子酒 - 在城市里用啤酒取代它

Absolutely.|当然

I'm definitely alone in my opinions about animals.|在和动物有关的问题上 没有人和我观点一致

No. I joined your society for the prevention of cruelty.|不 为了制止残杀动物 我加入了你的社团

Well, I'm extreme. I have a pet fox, a pet rat and a crow that can't fly.|我很极端 我养了一只狐狸 一只老鼠 和一只不会飞的乌鸦当宠物

I used to have a pet hare, but it died of kindness.|我养过一只野兔 但它友好地死去了

- [Barbara laughs] - America.|- 美国

We must reassess the power of the collective political process.|我们必须重新评估 他们集中的政治制度

Agreed.|同意

Oh, and, of course, we are agreed on slavery.|当然 我们在奴隶问题上观点一致

I'm against flowers in church. What do you say to that?|我反对在教堂里放花 你觉得呢?

I am for them.|我赞同

As am I.|像我一样

I shouldn't talk about the slave trade?|我不应该谈论奴隶交易吗?

I've spent so many years talking about it.|我谈这个问题谈了很多年了

So, what are a few more minutes?|那么 再多谈几分钟又算什么呢?

When Mr Pitt first became prime minister,|当Pitt先生首次当上首相时

the two of you were like meteorites shooting through our imagination.|你们俩就像陨星般堕入我们的想象

- Whose imaginations? - Girls my age.|- 谁的想像? - 和我同龄的女孩子们

You stopped taking sugar in your tea?|你停止往茶里面放糖了吗?

I wore an abolition badge made by Josiah Wedgwood.|我戴了一枚Josiah Wedgwood做的 废除奴隶制度的徽章

He was a good friend to us.|他是我们的好朋友

And I travelled 30 miles in the rain to hear Thomas Clarkson speak.|我冒雨赶了30里路 去听Thomas Clarkson的演讲

- Did he deafen you? - He opened my eyes.|- 他让你变聋了吗? - 他让我恍然大悟

- I met the African. - Equiano.|- 我见到了那个非洲人 - Equiano

He came to town with a hundred copies of his book. They sold in an hour.|他带了100本自己写的书来到镇上 一个小时就卖光了

- You signed our petitions. - A hundred times.|- 你签了我们请愿书 - 签了100次

A hundred times. Three million names, a million candles to read them by.|100次 3000万个名字 用了100万支蜡烛

- Must have been so exciting. - Exciting?|- 一定很刺激 - 刺激?

It seemed that every spring the daffodils came out,|看来 每到春天 水仙花就开花

every summer the cherries ripened|每到夏天 樱桃就成熟

and every autumn William Wilberforce would present his bill to the House.|每到秋天 Wilberforce就会向议会递交提案

- And still... - And still...?|- 直到... - 直到...?

And still, after all the badges, the petitions,|直到 所有的徽章 请愿书

all the speeches and the bills,|所有的演讲和所有的法案

ships full of human souls in chains sail around the world as cargo!|同满载着人类被囚禁的灵魂的船 被运到世界各地

I'm sorry.|对不起

- This is why I shouldn't talk about it. - I think you should.|- 这就是为何我不想提起这个 - 我想你应该这么做

There. We've found something we disagree on.|我们发现了我们意见不同的地方

"Am I not a man whose soul is drawn to heaven|"我不是这样一个人吗? 他的灵魂驶向天堂

like water from the dark well of Africa?"|就像井水从非洲黑暗的井里流出"

From Equiano's book.|来自Equiano的书

[Sighs] He was a man like no other.|他与众不同

Please, tell me about him.|请告诉我一些有关他的事

It seems to me|对我来说 就像

that if there is a bad taste in your mouth, you spit it out.|你吃了味道不好的东西 你会把它吐出来

You don't constantly swallow it back.|你不会还想要坚持咽下去

[Wilberforce] Not long after I first met him,|Wilberforce 在我第一次见到他后不久,

he asked me to come to the East India Dock.|他就让我去东南亚

He said there was a ship I should see.|他说那有一艘船 我应该去看看

A ship he knew well.|一艘他很熟悉的船

Mr Equiano.|Equiano先生

This way.|这边请

Thank you, sir.|谢谢

- [Woman] Hello. - [Man] Sweetheart.|- 你好 - 甜心

They make you lie in this space.|他们让你躺在这里

The shackles dislocate your hip or your shoulder.|铁镣使你的脊椎或肩膀脱臼

You are in pain all the way around the world.|你一路上痛苦不堪

How long is the journey?|路途要多久?

Three weeks, if the weather is good.|3个星期 如果天气好的话

For amusement, they sometimes hang the women from these,|为了消遣 他们有时会把女人挂在这上面

by the ankles, to rape them.|挂住她们的脚踝 然后强暴她们

In stormy weather, they take the very sickest|暴风雨天气 他们把最虚弱的人

and throw them into the sea to lighten the ship's load.|扔进海里 以减轻船的重量

How did you survive?|你是怎么幸存下来的?

Your life is a thread. It breaks or it doesn't break.|生命就像螺纹一样 要么断裂 要么牢固

Before I travelled in a ship like this,|在我被带到这艘船上之前

I was a prince, in many ways not unlike you.|我是一个王子 在很多方面都跟你差不多

It was a beautiful day like no other,|那是和往常一样美好的一天

the last day I saw my home in Africa.|是我最后一次看到我非洲的家

[Wilberforce] It is with a heavy heart|我带着沉重的心情

that I bring to the attention of this House|参加议会 希望大家注意到

a trade which degrades men to the level of brutes|那个使人类沦为畜生的交易

and insults the highest qualities of our common nature.|那个侮辱了人类最崇高品德的交易

I am speaking of... the slave trade.|我所说的...就是奴隶交易

[Protesting]

I know that many of my honourable friends in this House|我知道我很多可敬的议会朋友

have interests in the Indies.|都对印度感兴趣

Others have investments in plantations. Others are ship owners.|有的人在农场投资 有的人是船主

And I believe them to be men of humanity.|我相信他们都是仁慈的人

I believe you all to be men of humanity.|我相信在座各位都是仁慈的人

- If the wretchedness of any one - [clamouring]|- 如果有一个人能够可怜一下

Of the many hundreds of slaves stowed in their ships|那成百上千的 被装载在他们货船上的奴隶

- could be brought to view... - [protests drown out Wilberforce]|- 那么我们就能达成一个观点...

Order! Order!|肃静!肃静!

I can hardly believe my ears.|我简直不敢相信我的耳朵

- We can hardly believe your mouth. - [Laughter]|- 我们难以相信从你嘴里说出的话

It seems my young friend opposite has a long-term strategy|看来我年轻的反对者朋友 有一个长远的计划

to destroy the very nation that spawned him.|来摧毁这养育他的国家

[Shouting]

While I was in Virginia losing my fingers in battle with the Americans,|当我在维吉尼亚 在与美国人交战中失去手指的时候

- he was busy appeasing them. - [Clamouring]|- 他还在忙着安抚他们

Now he would hand over the riches of the Indies to the bloody French!|现在他又要把印度的有钱人们 交到血腥的法国人手中!

Lf... If we didn't have slaves, there would be no plantations.|如果...如果我们没有奴隶 就不会有农场

And with no plantations, how would we fill the coffers of the king?|没有农场 我们怎么能保证国库的贮藏

Does my honourable friend|我尊贵的朋友

really believe that if we left off the trade,|你真的相信如果我们停止交易

the French wouldn't immediately step into our place and reap the rewards?|法国人就不会马上踏入我们的国土 来收取赏金吗?

[Clamouring]

All this food. There's only a handful of people in there.|这么多吃的 里面的人不是很多

He's an optimist. Completely incurable.|他人太善良 完全没救了

Our defeat in the House today was not unexpected.|我们今天在议会上的失败 是没有料想到的

But our intention was to flush out the opposition|但我们的意图已经传达给对方

and discover how many people would support us.|并且知道了有多少人支持我们

Yes, well, we certainly found out who our friends are.|对 我们已经看出来谁是我们的朋友

All 16 of them.|总共有16个

I... I sent a note of thanks to everyone who voted for us.|我... 我向每个为我们投票的人表示了感谢

How sweet of you.|你真贴心

Some of us know how to take defeat graciously.|有的人 懂得如何心平气和地承认失败

- Something to with with breeding? - On this occasion, it probably is.|- 是叫做有教养吗? - 有时候是这样子的

Everything that is said at this meeting is being taken down for our records.|这次会议的所有发言将被记录下来

My friend James Stephen has agreed to be our secretary.|我的朋友James Stephen同意做我们的秘书

You were saying?|是你在说?

As you can see, not many MPs have responded to our invitation.|正如我们所见 并没有很多议员回应我们的邀请

Indeed, outside my own family, there is only one: Sir William Dolben.|确实 除了我们自己人外 就只有一个人:William Dolben先生

Sir William, what brings you to this gathering?|William先生 你为什么来这次聚会?

I recently took passage from Sierra Leone aboard a slave ship.|我最近从塞拉利昂回来 乘了一艘载有奴隶的船

What I saw during those 15 days...|在那15天里我所看到的...

But I believe there are plenty of others in the House who share your feelings.|但我相信 议会里面还有很多人 也有着和你们一样的感受

- They're just afraid to show it. - Shame on them!|- 他们只是不敢表现出来 - 他们真可耻!

No shame. No shame. Were I the representative of a port city,|不是可耻 不是可耻 如果我做为港口城市的代表

how could I tell those whom I represent that I'm voting to end their livelihood?|我要如何告诉那些我所代表的人 我正在为断了他们的生路而投票?

- Exactly so. - [All talk at once]|- 的确如此

How can human beings be commerce?|人类怎么能如此贪婪?

- It's exactly this pursuit of lofty... - Nothing lofty about simple humanity.|- 正是这种追逐崇高的... - 原始人类是没有崇高可言的

Please!|安静!

Perhaps we should begin this journey with the first step.|或许我们应该从头开始

We are talking about the truth.|我们在谈论事实

So we should hand it out to people. Drop it from church roofs.|我们应该让人们了解事实 广泛地传播开来

Paint pictures of it. Write songs about it. Make bloody pies out of it.|画与它有关的画 写和它有关的歌 把它做成血腥的馅饼

[Clarkson] Go on.|继续

There is a slave ship at dock in Tilbury|在Tilbury码头停了一艘装有奴隶的船

with twice the slave berths it is insured for.|他们给这艘船买了双倍保险

I know that for a fact. But how do we prove it?|我知道这个事实 但我们该如何证明?

Wilber.|Wilber

- Dear God. - Well, almost.|- 噢 上帝 - 没错

I've spent 18 months being torn apart by you in the House, Mr Wilberforce.|你我在议会里面争斗了18个月 Wilberforce先生

I thought I'd find out what it feels like to be on your side.|我觉得我应该站在你这一边

I see you've got plenty of food. Any of you saints drink?|我看到这里有很多食物 你们谁有喝的吗?

Well, this one bloody does.|这酒够烈

Thank you very much.|谢谢

Agh!

Not fair! Not fair.|不公平!不公平!

I'm not well. My belly.|我难受 我的胃

What's wrong with your belly?|你的胃怎么了

[Wilberforce] Oh!

Besides, you're prime minister.|还有 你是总理

It is my ministerial duty to let you win.|我有责任让你赢

[Laughs] So, what will we do with Fox?|那么 我们要怎么对付Fox?

- Put him in a box? - Let him throw the heavy rocks.|- 把他关进盒子里? - 让他丢了沉重的石头

- Provide the shocks. - Put Lord Tarleton in the stocks.|- 给他打击 - 把Tarleton勋爵关进监狱

Oh!

Oh, if the House of Lords could hear the idiotic way we carry on,|如果让上议院知道我们采取的蠢办法

they'd ban anyone under the age of 30 from holding high office ever again.|他们将再也不会让30岁以下的人 进入政府高层

Well, at least with Fox on board, the world will know we mean business.|至少 如果Fox在船上的话 人们都会明白我们说的事

The world doesn't know yet.|人们现在还不明白

Nor will it, not until we're ready.|除非我们全都准备好

You were born for this, Wilber.|你天生就是干这行的 Wilber

Sometimes I get giddy.|有时候我会觉得头晕

Why is it you only feel the thorns in your feet when you stop running?|当你跑停下来的时候 为什么只会感觉到脚上的刺?

Is that some sort of heavy-handed metaphorical advice for me, Mr Pitt?|这是某种对我的暗示吗 Pitt先生

Yes, I suppose it is.|我想是的

We must keep going, keep going fast.|我们必须一直跑 快速地跑

[Bell rings]

[Indistinct shouting]

[Sheep bleating]

[Playing classical music]

[Indistinct chatter]

Thank you very much.|非常感谢

[英学网] - 电影天堂-双语电影网 在线双语字幕-英语学习视频 - www.engxue.com

Gentlemen, would you stop the music, please? Thank you.|先生们 可以停一下吗? 谢谢

Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you have enjoyed our little tour of the estuary.|女士们先生们 我希望你们能喜欢这沿河短途旅行

But now our sojourn is almost over, I have a confession to make.|但现在已经差不多了 我有件事要承认

This trip wasn't purely arranged to reward those MPs|这次旅行 不仅仅是为了报答那些

who have supported me in the past year, nor am I the only sponsor.|一直支持我的议员们 我也不是这次活动的唯一发起人

- What's he doing? - Ladies and gentleman,|- 他来做什么? - 女士们先生们

this is a slave ship. The Madagascar.|这是一艘运过奴隶的船 马达加斯加号

It has just returned from the Indies|它刚从西印度群岛返回

where it delivered 200 men, women and children to Jamaica.|它把200名 男女和孩子运到牙买加

When it left Africa, there were 600 on board.|当它刚离开非洲时 船上还有600个人

The rest died of disease or despair.|其它的人都死于疾病或绝望

[Sniffing, moaning]

That smell is the smell of death.|这就是死亡的味道

Slow, painful death.|缓慢的 痛苦的死亡

Breathe it in. Breathe it deeply.|呼吸 深呼吸

Take those handkerchiefs away from your noses.|把手帕从你们的鼻子上拿开

There, now.|现在

Remember that smell.|记住这味道

Remember the Madagascar.|记住马达加斯加号

Remember that God made men equal.|记住上帝让人们平等

[Wilberforce] All that winter, we spread out across the country|那一整个冬天, 我们都在那个村子里

gathering evidence for Parliament.|搜集证据给国会

Thomas rode to Bristol, Liverpool, Plymouth,|Thomas到布里斯托尔 利物浦 普利茅斯

talking to men who'd worked the slave ships,|和那些在奴隶船上工作过的人谈话

ships' doctors who'd treated them,|船上为奴隶们治病的医生

slaves themselves who'd been whipped and branded.|自己也是奴隶 也被鞭打 也被铬上铁印

Equiano published his account of his years as a slave.|Equiano出版了一本书 记录了他当奴隶的日子

He sold 50,000 copies in two months.|2个月本就买掉了5000本

Spare a coin, sir?|有零钱吗 先生

Our supporters began to only buy sugar produced without slaves in India.|我们的支持者开始只买印度产的糖 印度的糖不是由奴隶们生产的

Or they stopped using sugar altogether.|甚至完全不再使用糖

It seemed our message was everywhere.|看来我们的信息已经传遍每个角落

At least now there was hope. Real hope.|至少现在有希望了 真正的希望

We had a year to collect enough evidence|我们用一年时间搜集了足够的证据

to convince Parliament of our case.|向议会证明我们的议案

The planters and the ship owners began to spread rumours about us.|农场主和船主 开始散播关于我们的谣言

They called us seditious, secretly working to bring down the government.|他们说我们煽动群众 秘密筹划推翻政府

Clarkson sat in a coach to Birmingham|Clarkson乘车到伯明翰

and overheard someone claim that I'd secretly married a slave woman.|无意中听到有人说 我已偷偷和一个奴隶结了婚

But the weight of our hope made it all seem like glorious infamy.|但这些谣言在希望面前都显得如此丑陋

How long have you been taking laudanum?|你服用鸦片酊多长时间了?

I recognise its presence.|我知道你在用这东西

My illness and my crusade were born around the same time.|这场运动和我的疾病 同时来了

What is your illness?|你有什么病?

The doctors tell me it's called colitis.|医生说是大肠炎

They don't really understand it, but I do.|他们并不懂 可我知道

You see, sometimes my stomach|有时候 我的胃

gets bored of being a stomach and decides it's a sailing ship.|厌倦了当胃 它决定变成一艘帆船

Then my heart gets jealous and decides it wants to be a see-saw.|然后我的心脏觉得很妒忌 于是决定变成一个秋千

And before you know it, my lungs are arguing with one another|在我知道之前 我的两个肺又开始讨论

whether to be lungs or sponges full of seawater.|是否应该当肺 或是变成两块吸满海水的海绵

[Chuckling]

Well, at least that's what I tell my nieces and nephews.|至少 我也是这么跟我的侄子侄女解释的

Marianne tells me you like children.|Marianne告诉我你很喜欢孩子

My poor father almost went mad|当我告诉我父亲 我已经不再往茶里放糖时

when I told him I'd stopped taking sugar in my tea.|我可怜的父亲就快发疯了

I was 14,|我14岁时

reading your name in the papers, willing you to win.|在报纸上看到你的名字 希望你能获胜

I told my friends there was actual slave blood in every lump of sugar.|我告诉我朋友 每块糖里面 都有奴隶的鲜血

Has this been so painful to talk about?|谈论这个是不是很痛苦?

It's only painful to talk about because we haven't changed anything.|谈到这个只有痛苦 因为我们没有改变任何事情

But, unlike the slaves, I have opium for my pain.|但是 不像那些奴隶们 我还有鸦片可以缓解痛苦
看完后写一些感受, 记下笔记, 会对你的学习和记忆帮助很大. 在英学网看电影不仅是娱乐, 更能帮你提高英语的听力和词汇量, 别忘记下今天的收获, 还可以赚积分哦!
你可以在自己的空间 : 只写一句话多写一点儿 当然, 还可以 去论坛聊聊
热门视频
推荐视频
相关视频